Sunday, October 24, 2010

Orange Hues and Pumpkin Pie: Quintessentially Fall

I wake up in the mornings to mostly gloomy skies these days but for one little bright spot..
Yes, it's fall and we'll see less and less of the sun now, but that one burst of red-orange-gold, however temporary, cheers my heart. It's what i have been opening my eyes to each morning this past fortnight: the tree right outside my bedroom window is aflame with the colors of fall.
Fall wreaths are starting to appear on doors, Starbucks has brought back it's Pumpkin Spice Latte, walking between buildings across the company campus during the day is like taking shelter under a canopy of orange and deep pinks, and with gorgeous gold underfoot.
Watching the season turn..It's a little bit like magic. Here today, gone tomorrow-and yet these breathtaking colors lift me up. They remind me that there is something to be joyful for, grateful for each day-if we look hard enough, if we care to notice. Yes, there is the cold, long winter ahead-but there will also be fireplaces aglow, warm, snuggly sweaters to pull on, the cheer of the holidays to indulge in and share..
My first brush with Thanksgiving in this country (rather, my first Thanksgiving ever) was 4 years ago, we were visting family down in San Francisco a week before. I remember the one highlight of our trip: a huge Pumpkin Pie from Whole Foods as dessert on our last night in town, no holds barred (translated as: topped with lots and lots of whipped cream).
Since then, i've kept up that bit of the tradition each year. The turkey-stuffing and mashed potato routine hasn't really caught up with us, but pumpkin pie is here to stay in my heart. Now and for later.
Maybe this year, i'll swap the store-bought with a home-made version!

No comments: